Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Cleaning up the office

Wrote this in my journal about a month ago. I've been meaning to share it for a while so here it goes...

Dec 12, 2011
Over the past few days, I've been cleaning out the education office.  There are piles of things that have been there for years...literally.  This has been a community work space for some time now and many people have left their piles.  Books, papers, knickknacks, paper weights, notebooks, a planner from 2009 (mostly blank).  I found a large box of school supplies (crayons, markers, plastic pencil boxes) which I am sure I can find a use for.  St. Peter gets waves of missionary groups who bring with them donation items.  Mostly books, personal hygiene items, and craft supplies.  I'm sure that that are distributed accordingly but somethings are bound to get forgotten about.  Today, I found some diamonds in the rough though.  One plastic grocery bag yielded six digital cameras of varying models, years and quality.  After changing batteries, charging others, we have 3 "new" working cameras.
My adventure did not stop there.  Mr. Caye, my "mentor" now became the student as I trained him how to use "yesterday's" technology.  You have to understand that he is not the most up to date on these things. As the flash popped and the image previewed, Joe's face lit up and he literally squealed with excitement!  To see this tall commanding presence of a man reduced to sheer innocence of childlike joy was at the very least entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment