Monday, April 11, 2011

"He didn't call ME!"

My 11 y.o. and I were walking yesterday, she was in her usual obstinate mood, when I made a comment about our moving to Belize. I don't remember exactly how the conversation started but I went on to make a reference about God calling us to go to Belize. Her reply to me was "God didn't call me to go to Belize." I thought about that a second and replied, "you're right, but He called your dad and I and you're coming with us!"
Last night I actually had a bit of quiet time and was able to sit down and read a bit in the book I've recently started. The book is called People Raising and not surprising, it's about the reasons, the benefits, and the how-to's of raising support to go work as missionaries. I put the book down and found myself really thinking about the chapter I'd just read, in tandem with my daughter's recent statements, and suddenly felt amazingly overwhelmed. The book is all about raising support for yourself and yet, here we are, trying to accomplish the amazing task of not only raising support for ourselves, but for our children as well--that is our responsibility, not theirs. This was our choice, not theirs.
Andy and I pride ourselves in the fact that we have always made every attempt to expose our children to other cultures and religions (albeit somewhat limited in white middle class America). One of the foundations of our parenting philosophy is to promote understanding, love and tolerance of others in order to create a better sense of understanding and pride in our own religion and culture. The thought of deeply submerging our children into another culture such as those in Belize is very exciting for Andy and I. We know that this will be a unique and amazing experience for our children but that doesn't negate the fact that this is a huge endeavor with lots of fears and risks involved.
We have no other choice but to trust that God's timing is right and that our entire family will be well taken care of. Moving to Belize with our children is something that Andy and I have really come to know that we were called to do. Answering 'yes' can be a scary thing, especially when it involves 5 little ones who don't really get a voice in the matter. I guess that's where the trust part must kick in.

2 comments:

  1. Julie,

    I have had a really similar conversation with my obstinate oldest child. He's made the comment that HE didn't choose homeschooling, and I've replied nearly identically to yours: God called me to homeschool you... so you're coming along.

    I think the thing we need to remember as parents in a culture that gives kids WAY TOO MUCH responsibility and WAY TOO MUCH freedom WAY TOO SOON is that WE are the parents. And, we are charged with the responsibility to make the right decisions for our families, including our children (who are not equipped to make those decisions... yet).

    You and Andy have not made this decision to go to Belize on a whim. You have spent years in prayer, in conversation, in preparation and planning. I believe that you both are following God's will for your family, just as I believe that we are following God's will for our family by homeschooling. But simply following God's will doesn't make things perfect or easy, by any stretch.

    So, will your children, especially the girls (b/c they are older) face many challenges and struggles in the next 15 months? Yes, probably they will. But, they will also face so many more new experiences and joys... and, most importantly, they will learn that God DOES speak to us, that He DOES call us to act, and that when we CHOOSE to listen, He provides all that we need to follow Him.

    And I can think of no greater lesson to teach our children than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Julie & Jen... Great posts! Glad to have read them.

    ReplyDelete